November 12, 2009

Yay Power Reviews!

I decided to do something a little different this week – I call it power reviews – where I just post what I’ve been listening to without really going into the album in too much detail. You’ll still get a small review of a song, video, or even a whole album.


First, something a friend posted on Facebook recently that has me hooked:Pomplamoose.

Song: Expiration Date
Rating: Sweet
From: California
Sounds like: Feist (pre-sellout), Cardigans
What else: the first band that I’ve known to sell their music on a USB drive




Next is my favorite new find: Port O'Brien.


Album: Threadbare
Rating: super sweet
From: California
Sounds Like: Indie music
What else: they have two albums, and both great


I seem to really like the music that is coming out of Cali!


Here is the video to the second track on Threadbare.



So are you are you a big Beyonce fan? Me neither! But this song below is not too bad. It's a cover of Beyonce's song Halo. The actual song doesn't start until 1:46 so if you're super busy and don't want to watch the intro, you can just skip it.



Here is the first song on their previous album.




Next on the list is some hip-hop from the UK. Her artist name is Speech Debelle, and that's pretty much all I know about her.
oh, she won some kind of Mercury Prize for her album Speech Therapy.

Album: Speech Therapy
Rating: sweet
From: UK
What else: I'm not sure

Here is one of her fun songs: Spinnin'



I've also been listening to a lot of Sin Fang Bous. It's Sindri Már Sigfússon's solo project. You may know him from his other project: Seabear. I went to see him almost two weeks ago at the Pyramid, and then stuck around for the Mum show.

Album: Clangour
Rating: really sweet
From: Iceland
Sounds like: Well, Seabear
What else: ummm. When he was on stage he kept making faces. I don't know what the deal was




And that is pretty much what power reviews will consist of. It's basically when I can not concentrate on one album, so I have to write about a whole buch of them. I hope you decide to check out most of the music. The reason why I couldn't decide which CD to review is because I enjoyed all of them so much. But if I had to recommend only one of these, I would go with Port O'Brien's Threadbare. I think that's the album that I've listened to the most out of all of these.

No comments: