November 19, 2009

My Portable Device EP23

Hey everyone! So for this week I decided to take a different approach to the My Portable Device play-list. I’m going to go into a little more detail what each artist – and perhaps what each song is about – for the whole show. I definitely don’t do much talking on the program itself, so it will be quite helpful to get a bit more background info on some of the songs played. I mean; every time that I tune into someone else’s show they rant on for about five minutes about each song they are going to play; and I find myself saying: Alright! Just play the song already!

So to avoid that type of response from my listeners I mostly focus on introducing the music, and playing as much music as possible. This is why I’ve been running out of artist to play lately. I mean, I’ve done 23 shows so far and each show has about 10-15 songs. So I must have played over 200 artist on the show. I’ve repeated some of them, but most of the time I try to play an artist I have not played before. This is now quite difficult.

On with the show!





The very first song I played was by Cenzi; this is jut playing in the background as I introduce the show. He’s a Latin hip-hop artist that I used for a music bed. If you are open to listening to music in another language - and you like hip-hop - this is a must listen.

Gui Borrato – This song makes me want to break out my glow sticks and start dancing around. He’s a Brazilian producer – he does a lot of remixes and such. I’d say that the song No Turning Back is my favorite.

Fanfarlo - This is a band from London that sounds a lot like Beirut – this one song for sure – I pretty much picked it because of that. I think it’s the guys voice that reminds me of it, but not all songs sound like Beirut.

Toro y Moi – this was one of those really random picks that you have to do when you have a radio show. Not a bad song though. It’s a bit poppy – pretty standard.

White Rabbits – yet another random pick. Maybe I should be doing this after all.

Foals – some more indie UK rock content for the show. I seem to play quite a bit of it. I haven’t listened to a complete album from these guys.

Pomplamoose – I talked about this band on my last post. Pretty fun to listen to and all their covers are free on their website.

Mates of States – I think I’ve played them before, but I really like to listen to them every once in a while. As far as pop duos go, these guys are pretty great.

Fast Romantics – nope! No info on these guys either.

Sunparlor Players – some Canadian content. I don’t mind a few of the songs by Sunparlor Players. I especially like the song John Had a Bell and a Whistle. It’s quite a crazy honky-tonk kind of song. If that sounds awful already, then you won’t like it.

Little Girls – continuing with my Canadian content expectations I played Little Girls. This band is scheduled to play with You Say Party on November 25, 09. They play a slightly grungy kind of rock – still pretty poppy.

Alright – maybe I’ll just stop there. If you are really interested in knowing about the rest of the songs on the play-list just leave a comment below. Happy listening.

P.S. If you like the description of the artists let me know. If not, then I'll just stop doing it.

Here's the rest of the play-list.

The Hidden Cameras - He Falls To Me (CAN)
Champion - Backing Off (CAN)
Champion - Alive Again (CAN)
Ramona Falls - I Say Fever
The Dutches & The Duke - Living This Life

4 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Love these posts!

Miguel said...

Thanks Kenton!

Lilleybug said...

Awesome post Miguel! I like the descriptions.

Miguel said...

Thanks Renee