December 23, 2009

A Latin Decade


These are some of the songs that I really enjoyed in the past decade of listening to Latin music. What you must understand first is that I only listen to mainstream Latin music -- it's incredibly hard to listen to anything else since I live thousands of miles from where this music is created. This is not to say that these are bad song, but they are the songs that are popular enough for me to have heard of.

BACILOS
I'm starting you off easy with some Latin-pop by Bacilos. These guys are actually from Miami, but originally from Colombia. So its something that can be easily be digested by North American culture. My favorite songs are Caraluna and Mi Primer Millon.

CALLE 13
Let's see if you can handle this one: Calle 13. It's one of my favorite bands, but are by no means easily digestible by North Americans - give it a try.

KRIZ Y ANGEL
Normally these guys usually focus on one genre of music called Reggaeton. This song though, has many other rhythms such as Bachata and Merengue. This should introduce you to a few of the Latin American music genres all in one song. The second song is a straight Reggaeton song.

DADDY YANKEE
The most popular/mainstream Reggaeton artist to date. My favorite song by him.

MANU CHAO
Speaking of popular: this is the most popular Latin artist in the world. He sells out concerts all over Europe, North, and South America. If you haven't heard of him, this is a good song to start with. It's most definitely the most main-stream/popular song by him. The second song is another one of my favorites by him and the first song that made him a household name.

ORISHAS
These guys are crazy good. They are hip-hop artists that sample cuban music for a lot of their songs (at least on the first CD). Listen to the first song by them to see what I mean. The second song is a more updated sound by the group.

KINKY
Latin electronic music is actually quite vast. This band is one of the most popular ones around.

MOLOTOV
These guys started off more than a decade ago, and released quite a few great singles. I especially like their protest songs concerning the corruption of government, and the US' immigration laws. Unfortunately the drop quite a few f-bombs so I can't really post them. Here is a cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and a song called Gimme Tha Power. Yep, about corruption in government.

There are countless more genres that we can explore together. Let's see the feedback on this first.

1 comment:

Kenton Larsen said...

I love these columns!