September 16, 2009

Jack Peñate - Everything Is New

Artist: Jack Peñate
Album: Everything Is New
Released: June 22, 2009
Label: XL Recordings
Stars: 4.0
Skippable Tracks: 0
Must-listen/purchase Track: Pull My Heart Away




Has Jack Peñate given up on plaid? From what I can tell…no. He’s still wearing the same-old plaid shirts buttoned all the way up to the collar. The only thing that has changed is his music style.

Jack Peñate is a U.K. Pop-rocker who just released his second full-length album. The Brit rock-star with a Spanish name released his first album in 2006. Most the songs on Matinée are heavy on the upstrokes and have a Pop-rock style to them. He received great feedback and it reached the number one spot on the U.K.’s independent album charts.

Peñate’s second album is certainly very different from its predecessor, and to me, that’s a good thing. I’m glad to see that he’s decided to explore another side of his creative mind. According to an interview done at Absolute Radio, he never felt the need to re-visit the same sound, and for that, I commend him. An artist should be able to express themselves however they want, and not have to cater to a specific audience. Go independent labels!

After hearing his first single, I expected the album to be a dancing-good-time. And it is, but there is also a couple of very creative Indie-rock kind of tracks on it. The album begins with my favorite song, Pull My Heart Away, one of those Indie songs I’m talking about. The second song switches the mood to a Pop sound which continues until the last couple of tracks where he throws in another two rock songs.

Peñate uses a lot of sound layering and continues to sing about his favorite subjects: Death and love.

Must listen/purchase track


First sigle


Old track

3 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Good post. You're going to have to show me how you post those audio files...

Greg M. Berg said...

I hear some 80's 'The Cure' influences here. For some reason my mind goes to, 'this is good soundtrack material for a movie.'

Miguel said...

His most recent work definitely has some 80’s influence. Even though the guy is only 25.

As far as posting the audio files, all I do is grab them from Grooveshark.com. It’s a great website where you can listen to pretty much any song you want, and it's free.