July 6, 2009

Rocky Votolato - Makers (2006)


Artist: Rocky Votolato
Album: Makers
Released: January 24, 2006
Label: Barsuk/Second Nature
Stars: 3.0
Skippable Tracks: 0

Just when you thought there wasn't going to be anymore posts, you get one more.
I know I am a whole lot late reviewing this CD. Truth is that when I purchased this CD I only downloaded selected tracks since I ran out of credits on my e-music account. This month I remembered that I had some tracks missing and decided to complete the album.


Makers is about the 7th album/lp released by the Seattle born singer Rocky Votolato. Votolato is one of the founders of the band Waxwing, which gained a bit of success during the late 90s and early 2000s. Votolato's solo stuff is very singer/songwriter and extremely mellow compared to Waxwing.

Rocky Votolato gets to show off his amazing guitar picking skills in songs as Uppers Aren't Necessary, and compliments it with his soft soothing voice. Although a lot of the lyrics are what you might call slightly depressing, you do know what to expect from the tone of his voice and acoustic melodies. Lyrics like "Heaven or heavenless, we're all headed for the same sweet darkness" and "Death keeps calling me, she's gonna set me free" are pretty good examples.
Other tunes have a heavy country influence, and are slightly more upbeat. A good example would be the songs Tennessee Tracks, and Tinfoil Hats. If you are in the mood for something relaxing, Elliot Smith kinda mood (Not that he's at the same level), Rocky Votolato is a great choice.

As an album, I don't think its going to be remembered as a masterpiece, but individual tracks are absolutely amazing to listen to in a mix. Try listenining to a couple of tracks first, and then decide. Personally I can never seem to get through the whole album, makes me wanna hit the bottle, and hey!, life ain't that bad.


No comments: