July 14, 2009

Paolo Nutini- Sunny Side Up

Artist: Paolo Nutini
Record: Sunny Side Up
Label: Atlantic Records
Release June 2, 2009
Skippable Tracks: 0
Stars: 4.9

I was pleasantly surprised with this album right from the beginning, straight through to the end. I really under estimated the talent of this artist after listening to the album released in 2006. This is not to say that the album was a poor attempt, but rather that it was very simple pop-rock album with one great single. The album is something that James Blunt would probably release, which is why I was expecting something similar from him this time.

The CD art caught my attention, and I could tell something was up. "What is this guy up to?!" I asked myself, and popped into the CD player.

The album starts with the song 10/10 which is a Ska/Rock-steady kind of song, and followed by a Soul song called Coming up Easy. I posted the third song in the album called Coming up Easy which and absolutely great love song followed by the track Candy. Both of which are my favorites on the Album. The album is peppered with soul, country, blues, folk,and even a Maddi Gras type of song. The styles used in the album are too vast to name completely, so you'll have to check it out for yourself below. As far as lyrics, he mostly talks about his love experiences.

This album was produced by Nutini and Ethan Johns, who has helped Ray LaMontagne produce a few albums. With that said, there are a couple of tracks that definitely remind me of his sound on here. I should warn you that Nutini's voice is not loved by everyone, and it may take you a few songs to get used to, but once you do, this album will only continue to grow on you with every listen. I'm interested to see what other tricks this guy has up his sleeves.





Sunny Side Up

No comments: