March 5, 2009

M. Ward - Hold Time (2009)

Record: M. Ward Hold Time
Label: Merge Records
Release Date: February 17th, 2009
Stars: 4.5


I'll start by saying that I really enjoyed listening to this album, and the only reason why it did not get a higher rating was because I've enjoyed his previous work a bit more. I always listen to an album from start to finish, none of that shuffling business, and will try to listen to it at least three times.

If you are unfamiliar with M. Ward I'll go ahead and describe it as a Blues-Country-Rock (You may have a different classification if you're a hipster or music snob). Ward does not write that that kind of annoying pop country you constantly hear on the radio, or that type of rock country that's written by old farts trying to rock-out country-style. This is bluesy rock with country feel. Absolutely noteworthy!

Ward decided to include some covers in this album: "Rave On" featuring Zooey Deschanel as well as "Oh Lonesome Me" featuring Lucinda Williams. If you like Rave on, you may be interested in checking out the full length album by Ward and Zooey. You may remember Zooey from the classic Christmas movie Elf singing Baby It's Cold Outside with Will Ferrell. The other cover is with Lucinda Williams, who has quite the following. Sorry to say that I'm not a big fan of her or the collaboration of Zooey and Ward. I know they have their following, and if you like Lucinda you will probably like M. Ward.

I found myself listening to the whole album only skipping one track on the third listen. That's pretty amazing since the album contains fourteen tracks in total. I would probably say that my favorite track on this album is Fisher of Men. It’s got a bit of a honky-tonk feel to it, and has some pretty catchy riffs to it. But hey! Don’t just take my word for it, and check out for yourself.


Rave on from the new album:



No comments: