April 27, 2010

Why bands should sell-out

One thing that has always bothered me a bit is when someone starts complaining that his favorite band has just sold-out. I agree that sometimes the music suffers, but I also understand that these bands are not put on earth just so I can be entertained. They need to make money too! They need to sell music.

Just look at how much one artist has to accomplish just to earn a minimum wage salary. It's ridiculous!



So if you love to pirate music, maybe think again. I'm not saying that I haven't ripped a CD from a friend. But I do support artists by attending the shows, buying shirts (no, I don't wear band t-shirts just to try to be cool), and CDs.

In fact, I gave up a few hours of studying to see Yukon Blonde -- pretty sweet show. I'll let you all know when they roll back into town.

2 comments:

Greg M. Berg said...

Good post Miguel. The dot graphics really put this into perspective. (people just "get it" when pics are used) I totally agree with the merchandising element to a band's survival. It shows support for a band you like and items like t-shirts help start conversations to create new fans.

Miguel said...

Gland you enjoyed it. Finally decided that it was time to post some more on the blog.