April 24, 2009

Swoon

Artist: Silversun Pickups
Album: Swoon
Released: April 14, 2009
Label: Dangerbird
Stars: 4
Skippable Tracks: Zero

It pains me to say that the new album by Silversun Pickups fell short of my expectations. I was really hoping for another Carnavas-like album, and ended up being a little disappointed with the results; as well as a little confused. When I listened to Swoon the first time, I had an incredibly hard time trying to think of a song that particularly stood out. After a couple more listens I found that the song Substitutions stood out from all the distortion that drowns the rest of the instruments and Nikki Monninger's voice. The album sounds like Brian Aubert patting himself on the back for three quarters of the album. If this band wants to succeed they are going to have to start acting like one. I know…despite my anger and frustration I still gave it a high rating. What can I say; I’m a huge fan of the band.

The band released the song Panic Switch as their first single, and it’s currently number seven on Billboard’s Modern Rock Charts. The song is accompanied with a great video displaying many colored lights, and flashing images of band members. (See below)

I don’t want to sound too negative about the band, or the album. I do enjoy listening to Swoon quite a bit now. Maybe I shouldn't be so critical. I guess I was looking for more than one type of sound from this album. A little more creativeness, a few more twists and turns. Who knows! Maybe all their other pedals broke and they had to record with just the one.


No comments: